guidelines to write Article Review
- Read the article at least twice. Reading it for the first time, try to understand its general idea. Reread the article carefully, taking notes of unfamiliar words to look them up in a dictionary. Also, highlight important details.
- Write a summary outline. Make a short, clear scheme that would cover the main points described in the article. It shouldn't include your personal opinions.
- Create an outline of your opinions. Revise each item in the summary outline to define whether the author was precise and clear. Write your comments.
- Make a list of strengths and weaknesses. For example, the strength of the article may be that it presents some new contributions to the field. The weakness may be that it doesn't provide any new information and just retells well-known facts.
- Begin your review with referring to the title and the author of the article.
- Analyze the main author's arguments and express your opinions on them. You can quote the article and give examples to support your point of view. This may take several paragraphs, but you shouldn't exceed the length established by your instructor.
- Each paragraph should begin with a topic sentence to introduce the main idea of the paragraph.
- Explain how well the author developed their topic. Mention whether the article was clear and easy to comprehend.
- In a concluding paragraph, summarize both the key points of the article and your opinions about their importance, accuracy and clarity. If it is relevant, give your comments about further research in the field.
- To write an article review, you shouldn't simply describe the article. Your task is to analyze, interpret and express your personal opinions. Make sure you provide a critique-detailed research. To asses the general value of the article, you should indicate whether its content is significant and what contributions to its field it presents.
Now you know how academic paper of this type should be written and what tips are necessary to follow. You can look through our article review example to see the connection between theory and practical skills.